Sunday 23 January 2022

Limoncello



I clearly remembered my first time trying Limoncello-in Sorrento few year ago! The owner of the Airbnb where we stayed welcome us with her homemade limoncello by her family. After that first short I never look back. I bought a bottle of limoncello at the airport and once I finish that bottle I start searching online for homemade recipes. Found and tried several and finally after a few tweaks here and there I am happy with this recipes. I love this and it would make a great hostess gift or a holiday gift as well!

Ingredients:
  • 1l Vodka
  • 6-7 unwaxed lemons, preferably Amalfi if you get one
  • 750g sugar
  • 750g boiling water
Method:

Zest all your lemons and pop the zest into a tall jar. Make sure not to go too deep. You want only the zest, not the white portion of the peel.

Add the vodka and seal the jar, adding a layer of cling film for added security.

For the next seven to ten days leave your lemon zest to steep and infuse in the vodka. Every day give your jar a gentle shake to disrupt the mixture slightly.

Add you sugar to the boiling water, stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Leave the syrup cool down before adding the syrup to the zest mixture. If the jar is not big enough, move everything into a bigger jar if needed.

Reseal the mixture once combined and leave to steep and infuse for another seven to ten days. Remember to give the jar a shake every couple of days during this period.

After conducting the very important taste test, strain the mixture into a jug ready to pour into the bottles. Make sure your bottles are clean and sterile and have a good stopper or seal to them. Divide your mixture between bottles. I like to decorate my bottles with ribbons and brown paper tags. 

No comments: