This dish is best compliment with nasi lemak or lemang.
- 600-800g chicken, chopped into serving pieces
- 300ml coconut milk
- 1 cup dessicated coconut, dry fried for kerisik**
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 turmeric leaf, cut into two
- 2 assam keping (assam gelugor)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 10 dried chillies, soaked
- 3 fresh red chillies, seeded
- 8 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks lemon grass(serai)
- 3cm piece galangal (lengkuas)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
Heat oil in a wok. Fry the ground spices until fragrant. Add in the chicken pieces and coat well. Pour in the coconut milk and ring to a low boil. After it has boiled, lower the heat and add in the leaves and assam keping. Simmer until the gravy turns thick. Keep stirring to prevent sticking. Add kerisik and mix well. Cook until meat is tender, gravy is thick and oil rises to the top. Add seasoning.
** to make kerisik, fry the dessicated coconut until golden brown. Pound/blend until fine.