- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- cardomom pods
- 2 cinnamon stick (2-in) length
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2-in ginger knob, peeled and bruised
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- tomatoes 3, chopped
- 150g tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g rice, washed and drained
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 4cups chicken stock
- 170g evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 100g cashew nuts, toasted
Heat the oil in a pot. Saute onion, cardamon pods, cinnamon, garlic, ginger and chilli powder until fragrant.
Add tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Put in bay leaves and rice. Mix thoroughly.
Add tabasco sauce, chicken stock, evaporated milk and sugar. Bring to boil and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
Cover the pot, cook over low heat for 10 minutes or in the oven for 20 minutes at 180C.
Garnish with toasted cashew nuts and serve with Chicken in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Ayam Masak Merah)