- 250g sago, washed and soaked in water for an hour and drained
- 200g grated young coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120g sugar
- 1/2 tsp pandan paste or 1 tbsp pandan juice
- few drops of red colouring
- banana leaf, cut into 9" round and lighty greased
Boil water in steamer over a high heat.
Combine sago, sugar, salt and coconut. Divide into 3 equal portions. Mix one portion with pandan paste or juice, the other with red colouring, leaving one portion plain.
Line the base of a 9" round cake tin with the greased banana leaf. Spread the red sago mixture evenly in the tin and press lightly with a spatula. Place the cake tin in the steamer and steam for 15 minutes until sago is transparent. Add the layer of plain sago to the steamed sago and steam again for nother 15 minutes until the sago is tranparent. Repeat the process with the green portion.
When cooked, remove the tin from the steamer and cool cake completely before cutting into diamond shapes.