Oh! yes...this is my favourite mee goreng. When I was young & living in Penang, I used to buy the fritter where it was slit in the centre and stuff with shreded sengkuang, cucumber and blanched taugeh. Finally some sauce will be poured into the fritter. We used to called it "tikus" as it was shaped like a little rat.
Thanks to Winnie for making us the homemade noodles.
Ingedients for the fritters:
- 175g plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 130 ml water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green chilli
- 1/2 medium size onion, finely chopped
- extra plain flour for dusting hand
- enough oil for deep frying
Combine flour, salt, sugar, baking soda in a mixing bowl. Gradually add in water to mix into a dough. Set aside to rest for 1 hour.
Mix in the green chilli and onion. Dust hand with the extra flour and shape the dough into ablong shape for about 3" in lenghts. Taper the ends.
Heat wok with oil and deep fry the fritters until golden brown. Drain well and cut into slanting pieces.
Ingredients for the sauce:
Spices-ground and combine:
- 7 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 dried chillies, soaked until soft
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 1/2 tsp belacan
- 75g mashed sweet potatoes
- 75g gula melaka
- 2 tbsp tamarind, mixed with 50 ml water and squeezed for juice
- 125g roasted peanuts, pounded
- 600ml water
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp oil
Heat oil and fry ground ingredients until fragrant. Add in A and simmer until the gravy turns thick.
Ingredients for frying the noodle:
- 1 packet noodles. Here I used the egg noodles that available in supermarket
- 150g taugeh.
- 2 medium size potatoes, boiled and cut into 1/2 cm thick slices
- deep fried firm beancurd. Use only half block. Cut into about 1cm square
- 3 eggs
- 3 fritters ( ingredients and method is as above), sliced 1cm slantly.
- 3 tbsp dep fried shallots
- some curly leaves for garnishing, slice thinly
- some lime wedges
- 3 tbsp oil
Heat the wok until hot. Put in the noodles and 21/2 cups of the rojak sauce ( ingredents and method is as above). Stir to coat well. Add in the fritters, potatoes, beancurd and taugeh. Stir well again for about 2 minutes.
Move the noodles to the side of the wok and break the eggs into the empty space of the wok. Scramble well and cover the noodles over the egg. Leave for 1 minutes and stir well.
Dish out to a serving plate and garnish with deep fried shallots, curly leaf and 1 lime wedges.