This is a special noodle dish in a prawn based soup. It's the soup that makes the difference, the sweet prawny essence with the spicy chilly sauce packs a kick. Since I am unable to get fresh prawns here, I have replaced the prawns with dried prawns instead.
- 300g fresh yellow noodles, scalded
- 200g mee hoon (rice verrmicelli) soaked and scalded
- 1/4 cup dried prawns, soaked until soft and then minced finely
- 600g pork ribs
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- 1/1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 10 cups water
- 8 dried chillies
- 5 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 300g cooked lean pork, sliced
- 200g kangkung, scalded
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 250g tau geh (bean sprouts)
- some cooked prawns
- chilli oil
- shallot crisps
Simmer pork ribs and lean pork with 10 cups of water. Add rock sugar and salt. Add in the minced dried prwns. Bring to boil. Remove the lean pork when cooked, save the meat for garnishing.
Heat oil and fry the ground ingredients in 5 tbsp cooking oil until fragrant. Reserve 2-3 tbsp chilli oil for garnishing. Pour the remaining chilli oil into the stock and simmer over a low heat for a few minutes. Add salt to taste.
To serve, put required amount of mee, meehoon and taugeh into individual bowls. Add garnishing and spoon hot soup over it. Sprinkle with shallot crisps and serve with chilli oil.