Classic banana cake gets a makeover with tart berries and a fruity topping.
- Melted butter to grease
- 125g butter, chopped
- 140g (2/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 260g (1 cup) mashed ripe banana
- 225g (11/2 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g frozen raspberries
For the passionfruit icing:
- 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 40g butter, at room temperature
- 80g (1/2 cup) pure icing sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh passionfruit pulp
- Raspberries (optional), to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 10 x 20cm loaf pan with melted butter. Line the base with non-stick baking paper. Stir the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
Stir the egg, sour cream and banana into the butter mixture. Sift flour, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add banana mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in the frozen raspberries. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar in a small bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in half the passionfruit pulp. Spread the icing over the cake. Top with raspberries and drizzle over the remaining passionfruit pulp.